Saturday, September 12, 2009

Random football roundup

My old home town team of Nottm Forest managed a point away at Sheffield Wednesday. Hopefully this season will see Forest compete more credibly in the Championship, having narrowly escaped relegation last.

Over the way at newly financed Meadow Lane, Notts County thrashed Northampton 5-2 in their ongoing goal-fest in League 2. A couple of surprise defeats prevent them being top, but the goal difference will be handy. Is Sven starting to make a difference, and will Sol Campbell debut against Morecambe next week at Christie Park (in my new parish). Think I may go along and see. That reminds me, Eastwood Town FC, whose ground was in the first parish I served in (I think!) are enjoying success after their promotion, lying second after a 3-3 draw today.

This week the Shrimps managed a draw at Rotherham, which I think they would be happy with, following a couple of results where they conceded in the final few minutes. Down the road, Lancaster City went out 3-0 at home to Ashton FC from the league above in the FA Cup.

Oh, and England qualified early for the World Cup. Don't get too excited, but Capello looks like he knows what he is doing...

No comments: