Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Songs

I do find the annual ritual of putting away normal playlists in exchange for Christmas records extraordinary. Why should Christmas mean people take leave of their normal musical senses. To top it all we also have to endure the mandatory X-factor winner Christmas number 1. Jeff Buckley nearly made it to his rightful place ahead of a manufactured imitation, but there we are.

Made me wonder about my favourite "Christmas record". Greg Lake when I'm feeling cynical, Ring Out Solstice Bells by Jethro Tull has a certain pagan integrity, but Winter Song by Lindisfarne gets it for me. Any song with

"Do you spare a thought for Jesus, who had nothing but his thoughts,
Who gut busted just for talking, and befriending the wrong sorts?"

...has to get my vote.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: