Friday, June 09, 2006

8500 and counting

Those who know me well are aware of two truths about me:
  1. I work to deadlines - by which I mean I finish things very shortly before the deadline, never long in advance.
  2. Any planning I do looks like shapeless chaos for a long while, and then it comes together. I am rarely able to draw up a neat plan and then execute it.
I have often wondered what it must be like to plan a piece of work - like an essay or a dissertation with methodical sections. Anyway, my 15,000 word dissertation is now moving from the amorphous stage to something readable. Maybe I'll finish it. Possibly I'll even get it bound and handed in on time. Over half way through getting typed up, so you never know...

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terribly organised Mike! I'm wondering whether writing reports will be a bit like writing essays - I know I've got 2 weeks to go and despite the fact Hannah's nearly finished (really not surprised by that fact) I still am not afraid enough to type type type, especially when the weather's so good...
I can't imagine writing 15000 words myself, but my mother's rather stressed with her MA dissertation, and also extremely organised. Don't think I could do it myself. I don't have the organisational skills. All the best with the tap tap tapping! When's the deadline?

Mike Peatman said...

July 1st! 8750 when I stopped today!!

Anonymous said...

Well, being so well acquainted with the office that we share, I can certainly testify to what you have written about yourself.

By nature, I am the sort of person that wants to be organised but I get too easily distracted! How many times have you had to ask me, "Have you done x or y yet Matthew?!" I have usually pulled my finger out in the end though!

Anonymous said...

Well done! Over half way and still 3 weeks to go! I'm quite chuffed with myself, it's gorgeous outside but I've sat and written my RE and numeracy reports this afternoon! Becky Hollis from Broughton is coming to see me today too, thought you might like to know.