Sunday, July 21, 2013

Is Choice a Virtue?

An irritating politician was on the radio a little while ago, saying how important it was to give parents choice in their children's education "because parents know best". Do I? I'm not sure that I do. I'm not qualified in education/teaching and I'm not confident I know all the criteria on which to assess a school and its staff.

Then there was an interview with a health minister. Apparently it's important that patients can make informed choices about their health care as they know best. No I don't. If I'm ill I want someone who knows what they are talking about, and who is competent in administering treatment to get on with it. How should I know what's the best way to treat my condition. By all means ask my consent, and feel free to discuss the options, but let's not pretend I'm an expert.

No comments: