Saturday, November 28, 2009

Our Cup Runneth Over (or not!)

The news from Bishop's House is that we can now offer communion 'in both kinds' again openly at main services of worship. The Archbishops of Canterbury and York have advised that we can again share the chalice at communion. Their previous advice on hygiene continues to be in force.

I was never very happy with the restriction, as it raises some very important questions. When did an infection last change the forms of worship of the Church of England? Was sharing communion really more risky than, say, sharing a car/bus/rail carriage? Can we not trust people to abstain if they feel they may be infected OR may be vulnerable? Let alone the irony of prayers referring to the chalice as a 'cup of salvation' which was then being treated as too dangerous to share around a congregation. And what constitutes a disease which is too risky? Arguably most seasonal flu falls into this category.

Anyway, back to normal this Sunday. If you have a temperature, or have been in recent contact with someone with 'flu, please abstain from the chalice. I will be doing, as my stinking cold which has removed my voice isn't something I wish to share. I won't 'intinct' either as I will have been blowing my nose. (Don't think too hard about that!) If you are in a vulnerable category and haven't yet been immunised, I would also advise you to receive in one kind only.

It's good to be back to normal before Christmas

No comments: