Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

The pancakes are still going down from yesterday - a relic of an era when the meat and fat were used up before the austerity of Lent began. Had a d'oh moment earlier in the week when I realised that the word carnival has its origins in the Latin for remove meat. Obvious when you think about it: a valedictory moment for the carnivores!

Anyway, I've been trying to work out how I will mark Lent. I've given stuff up, taken new things on, read Lent books, even blogged.

This year I will try Christian Aid's "Count your blessings" challenge. Each day has a reflection on the difference between our lifestyle and values and those in the developing world, and a response to make. All on 2 sides of A4

As they say, "it's easier to give something up for Lent if you've got something to start with."

No comments: