Friday, August 29, 2008

Where were you when...?

Quite an interesting little meme. Five events and a chance to record the impact they had on you:

Princess Diana's death - Sunday 31 August 1997
That morning, I got up to the news and had to readjust what we did at the 10am morning communion service at the Church where I was priest-in-charge (St James', Whitley). Was aware that a number of people were experiencing the news with much more distress than I was. It was sad, of course, but it tapped into other events in people's lives and awakened those feelings.

Margaret Thatcher's resignation - Thursday 22 November 1990
I don't remember what I was doing, but I remember my relief that for the first time in my voting life (I wasn't quite old enough to vote in the 1979 election) Mrs Thatcher would not be PM. She should have lost earlier elections, but there's nothing like a war to rally people round. Actually, that didn't work for Tony Blair....

Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001
Was in my office at the Vicarage, and Debbie came in having collected Jonathan from school. One of the mums at the gate said something had happened with a plane. We turned on the news, and watched as initially the towers burned and then one after the other collapsed. I remember fearing what would happen next.

England's World Cup Semi Final v Germany in - 4 July 1990
Hmm. The Wednesday after I was ordained in Southwell minster. Think I watched this in my new home on a 14" colour portable, which served as my telly for a few years. Frustration, narrow misses and the inevitable penalty disaster

President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963
No recollection of this, owing to being only 2 years old.

Thanks to Steve for this. can't think of enough people old enough to nominate.

No comments: