Monday, June 04, 2007

Assumptions

One of the peculiar things about getting ordained was the change in the assumptions people make about you. There are the obvious ones e.g. all clergy are like the vicar in Dad's Army - head in the clouds, wet, etc. In those cases you just have to hope that meeting the reality goes some way to dismantling the prejudice.

The assumptions that are harder to manage are ones about personal taste. For instance, people assume that a dog collar means that you have a major interest in church architecture, and that you are familiar with all the clergy who have served in the locality for 100 years. Musically, you are assumed to be a classical listener, and an expert on all things choral. Sadly, in my case, this is profoundly mistaken, so it's been a process of learning what anthems, settings and other stuff I need to know to get by in the roles I have filled.

Luckily, I have quite a good musical ear, so I can learn tunes and spot what's in pitch. Sadly, my musical taste tends to disappoint everyone who has a musical role in any church I have attended. I don't have Fauré's Requiem, and I also don't have the full Tim Hughes collection. I do have the first four REM albums successful in the UK, though. (Murmur, Reckoning and Fables of the Reconstruction didn't make it on to my shelf)

3 comments:

Emma said...

Interesting how vicars are perceived. Clearly different for a woman who is expected to be the Vicar of Dibley - a babe with a bob cut and a magnificent bosom. Don't think I'll ever quite fit that role somehow. Though clearly getting rather some ahead of myself there.

Steve Tilley said...

If you want to borrow the first three REM albums mate I'm here. fables is by far and away the best. Saw them tour it, Rock City about 1987. Excellent

Mike Peatman said...

I'll take you up on that. Saw their TV debut on the Tube, circa 1984/5. Michael Stipe looked like Jim Morrison