Thursday, May 24, 2007

Brief Teccie rant

TalkTalk. What can I say? It's the cheapest telephone/broadband deal for our usage pattern, and the hassle of changing ISP doesn't attract me. They upgraded the linespeed - I'm getting 3Mbps as I type now instead of 1. However to regain contact I had to buy a new router. For reasons that remain unclear, their upgrade left my Netgear DG834G v2 unable to login. They gave me no warning that this might be the case, just a nice letter reassuring me that service would improve with new equipment.

Looked at website at work (as I couldn't at home until I dug out the old USB ADSL modem.) Two routers can't cope - one of them mine, but the recommended router for the new service is... Netgear DG834G v3. Left with little choice I bought one. But there's something very dodgy about an upgrade that forces a purchse in that way. I expect they will simply say that I didn't buy the original router from them, so what's it to do with them.

Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Emma said...

How suspicious and irritating indeed. Does this mean your back in the world of broadband now? All good.