Monday, April 30, 2007

Sunday Worship

I usually turn the radio over to BBC 5 live when the Radio 4 Sunday worship comes on. I don't find listening to other people at church serves as very good preparation for being at church myself. However, the introduction to Sunday's service meant that I kept listening.

It came from a Catholic Church, Most Holy Redeemer, San Francisco, which is set in the heart of that city's gay community. The service explored how gay people can find a place in the Christian community. Given the official teaching of the Vatican on this issue, I was intrigued. You can listen to the whole service here until 5/5/2007, which will also enable you to hear the music (more Broadway musical than choral evensong!)

The transcript of the service can be found here, and the homily itself is well worth a read, as it provides a searching challenge to conservative views on this issue.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Spooky or what! My Sunday morning practice is very similar - once the morning worship comes on I flick around trying to find something more interesting (usually unsuccessfully).
Like you, I was intrigued by the introduction to Sunday's service, and listened for as long as I could before having to depart.
What I heard was very interesting and engaging.