Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Compelling viewing

Watched the Facing the Truth programme chaired by Desmond Tutu over the last two nights, and found myself unable to take my eyes off the screen. The sight of victims and former paramilitaries facing up to one another and dealing with the strong and complex emotions involved was gripping. Some of the encounters were disturbing and others were deeply moving. Over it all was Archbishop Desmond - probably the only living Anglican Christian hero I've got. Something about him stopped the discussions being a slanging match. His wise, almost ageless face invited people to be vulnerable, and yet also say through to their souls. As my son said "he really is Yoda". Awesome stuff, yet my own discomfort watching it left me wondering if it was also felt intrusive and voyeristic.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: