Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Local Radio Moment

I caught a bit of the BBC Radio Lancashire Sunday morning show today. They did a feature prompted by the Bishop of Sheffield getting people to listen to a Lily Allen song. Looking at song lyrics and then looking at issues of faith isn't that new - I was doing it with Steve Tilley in the early 1980s, but I am all for looking at themes in contemporary culture. Check out Culturewatch for a site that has loads of resources based on books, film, music and more

Anyway, back to this morning. Some vox-pops of suggestions for songs that have Christian themes were sought out on the street.

The first one was so good, Little Britain couldn't have scripted it better:

Person: "The one by Billy Joel about the woman... you can be just yourself, and he loves you just as you are."

Reporter: "She's always a woman to me. That one?"

Person: "Yes that's the one."

No, I don't think it was. If you don't believe me go here, click Listen now and wind forward to 1hr 20. You have 7 days.

No comments: