Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ethical contradictions

We have a mouse in the loft, which we are trying to poison, and a hamster ("Rocky")in a cage that we are trying to look after and keep not only alive, but well and healthy. Two rodents 7 feet apart, but completely different in status. Life is crazy sometimes.

Feeling a bit sleepy today, as daughter came through at 1-30am saying "Rocky's escaped!". The cage door wasn't quite clicked to and he was out. Taking care where to step, a search of the house began (her bedroom door was ajar). 2 minutes later, I notice hamster on his back legs staring at me from a corner of Ellie's bedroom. Crisis over, but never quite got back into that lovely deep sleep I was having.

As I said, life is crazy sometimes.


Powered by ScribeFire.

8 comments:

Emma said...

You could use a humane trap to catch the mouse and release it in a field not too far from you house?

Mike Peatman said...

They can be used, but you have to monitor them regularly, and I suspect the mice would just move back in.

Need to find the hole they're using!

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I know that I am not a father yet but I admire greatly your willingness to get up without so much as a "bloody hell".

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I quite like the idea of staying up all night staking out where the mouse is coming and going from! If you want a willing volunteer, you have my phone number.

[For those who don't know me as well as Mike does, yes that is a joke.]

Hannah said...

Mike - mars bar on a trap is the way forward for catchin your mouse!!! we caught 3 that way but did have to do some inhumane killing to make sure they left this earth departed and not moving!!!
emma - you're so caring and thoughtful about mice, i think mousey and mousey have something to do with that!!!

Emma said...

Absolutely! They'd never talk to me again if I killed a mouse!.... hang on...

Mike Peatman said...

Have now blocked the gap they enlarged by nibbling. The noises in the loft and in the spaces between the walls have now abated.

Hannah said...

I think it was theterminator that said 'i'll be back!!!' but mice often say it too!!!!!!!